We're back! February is finally coming to an end and things are finally picking up again in the city. This weekend features live shows with Lucybell, Farmacos and Los Miserables, DJ parties all over town, a Chinese New Year celebration, an underground party complete with a secret password, a drum circle "party" at Quinta Normal and the Andean community celebrating the Andean Carnival over at Cerro Blanco with ceremonies throughout the weekend (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvRtjsi6mg).
Remember every Friday we'll post our picks for the weekend and please check this space often as we may update it with changes and/or new events that pop up. Enjoy!
Photo by Sonia Garay
- Carnaval Andino: Definite treat for our readers- Cerro Blanco is ground zero for the Andean carnival celebration taking place this weekend. This will feature traditional ceremonies but the party will be on Saturday. We'll be there. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206031752932490&set=a.12325293...
- Lucybell: Extremely popular Chilean band Lucybell will be performing at Club Chocolate. https://www.facebook.com/events/1584191118482831
- Chinese New Year: Head over to Paseo Bulnes at 6pm for the official celebration of the Chinese New Year! Free and should be fun.
- Anzestro & The Sastre: A bit digital, a bit of hip hop, digital funk. (https://soundcloud.com/anzestro). Worth checking out at one of our favorite venues Bar El Clan. https://www.facebook.com/events/734421660011421
- Bar Raices: Up for a bit of cueca tonight? Los Benjamines (https://soundcloud.com/benjaminescuecachilena) are bringing the show tonight at Bar Raices (Cueto w/ San Pablo). La Minga (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XG6VKOAuZU) will also be performing.
- Ciclo de Cine y terror en la Maestranza: Horror flick fest over in the San Bernardo neighborhood! Tonight will feature Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988).
- Edgar van de Wingard: Bar Loreto is hosting the show by Edgar van de Wingard (http://www.soundcloud.com/edgarvandewingard) Friday night. DJ Party with DJ Sonido Acido will follow. https://www.facebook.com/events/778232742269336
- Va la paloma: The band (https://soundcloud.com/valapaloma/no-me-voy-a-negar) will be performing at Kasa Ecolety (Metro Bellas Artes) tonight at 8:30pm.
- Los Testigos: 1971 Chilean film will be shown for FREE at the Cultural Center of La Reina (Casona Nemesio Antúnez) at 8pm.
- DJ Parties: Endless summer with Boogie Mike at Club Subterraneo (https://www.facebook.com/events/853915691318380). Indie/Britpop night at Blondie (this ends late): https://www.facebook.com/events/772445832789262. EDM at Club Nave Luna (near Lastarria): https://www.facebook.com/events/703545526420709. Hits party for 23+ crowd at Sala Gente (https://www.facebook.com/events/1552091875073527). Pop/House/Electroclash fun at Bal le Duc (https://www.facebook.com/events/779440282147355). EDM with UMHO, Aldo Cadiz and Leonardo Vargas at MAMBA (https://www.facebook.com/events/373093389565757). DJ Rodrigo Garcia and DJ Fat Pablo will be on the decks at Candelaria - FYI you need to be on the list to enter (https://www.facebook.com/events/406795466112389). Indie/Britpop Glam party at Nómade (https://www.facebook.com/events/1551847911735457).
- Dancehall: Something for the dancehall and hiphop fans - party at La Casa De Asterion. https://www.facebook.com/events/794461423963540
- David Arrieta y Victor L: Some latin pop and rock at the intimate Anden de Yungay. https://www.facebook.com/events/910933775607755
- Metal Fest: Metal venue Bar Oxido is hosting the metal fest tonight with 4 tribute metal bands. https://www.facebook.com/events/410579655767335
- Alleycat: No brakes. Bike race at 8pm over at Plaza de Armas. Yikes. https://www.facebook.com/events/1617012485176779
- Barouh: Chilean band Barouh (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjKKZOCuuG8) will be performing at Bar Grez along with The Flick Leslies.
- Francisca Santa Maria: Francisca bids farewell before departing to Australia with a show at El Mesón Nerudiano along with Jazz band Cultrera, Espinoza y Co.
- Romeo Santos: Major show over at Estadio Nacional Friday night. https://www.facebook.com/events/228830403983596
- Salsa - Mambo Color: Salsa party where you're supposed to show up with dressed in color for reduced entry. O..k.. https://www.facebook.com/events/1533177930296394
- Lucabrassi: Chilean band Lucabrassi will be performing at Opera Catedral (Metro Bellas Artes). Get there before 10:30pm to get in free.
- English meetup:Head over to Cafe Literario to practice your English skills at the "English in Satiago" meetup.
- Fiesta del Djembe: Drum circle at a park in Santiago. You can probably figure out what that means, but let's just say the atmosphere will be young
- Observatorio: Did you even know about the observatory near Estacion Central? Final summer session tonight at 8pm.
- Fármacos / Migrantes: One of our new favorite bands, Fármacos (http://youtu.be/HHSNU3HD1-A), will be performing live at Bar Loreto along with Migrantes (http://www.migrantesmusica.com/).
- Roda de Samba: Brazil fest at La Bodeguita de Julio in Barrio Bellavista. Should be lively. https://www.facebook.com/events/1635097370056632
- Poetry and Music in Yungay: Up for some poetry and live music in Barrio Yungay? El Anden de Yungay is hosting the show tonight at 9:30pm. Entry's 2 luca. https://www.facebook.com/events/1773558432869630
- La Color: Latin rhythms on tap at Revolver-favorite Bar El Clan tonight with a performance by La Color (https://soundcloud.com/lacolor).
- Hardcore: Hardcore punk and rockabilly show over by Av. Einstein in Recoleta.
- Cumbia/mambo: Cumbia party at La Peña del Nano Parra in Bellavista! https://www.facebook.com/events/783239738411100 Or a mambo fest at Bar Raices. https://www.facebook.com/events/403648183130238.
- SacadeChucha Vol. 2: "Saca de Chucha" roughly translates to wiping out really hard and possibly getting injured. This alleycat bike race is benefiting a recently-injured cyclist. If someone gets injured during this one, expect Vol #3 real soon.
- Los Miserables: Legendary Chilean band Los Miserables are going to be performing at one of the most interesting venues near Metro Santa Isabel (https://www.facebook.com/events/878909598817019).
- Viva Morrissey: The Smiths / Morrissey special at Blondie.
- La Causa / Hombre Bestia: Check out some pretty good rock with Hombre Bestia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-EoE0DtZyk) and La Causa (https://soundcloud.com/lacausa_cl/triste-cazador) at Bar Mala Vida.
- Andes Highlanders: Looking for something a bit different? The Andes Highlanders Pipe Band will be performing at the Anfiteatro Pablo Neruda (Cerro San Cristobal) at 7pm. https://www.facebook.com/events/1557035354573008
- Vinilo Vintage: LIRA Bar Galeria is hosting a vinyl sale starting at noon on Saturday.
- Survey Team: Survey Team (https://soundcloud.com/surveyteam/odisea-de-violencia) will be performing live over at Opera Catedral (Metro Bellas Artes). Entry's free before 11pm, after that expect to pay 11 lucas.
- Martin Fierro: Free film! Animated Chilean flick Martin Fierro will be playing at the Cultural Center of La Reina (Casona Nemesio Antúnez) at 8pm.
- DJ Parties: Summer sessions at Club Subterraneo - free for foreigners with id until 12:15 (https://www.facebook.com/events/715308821900308). The Mission electro-pop hits party has moved from Bellavista to Cine Arte Alameda (https://www.facebook.com/events/655637057891813). Deep house and dance hits along with possibly awkward attempts at dancing at Amanda (https://www.facebook.com/events/1019292634750895) or Mosaicafe (https://www.facebook.com/events/780566475365007). DJ's Ricardo Molinari, Mankiza and Joaquín Chiang at Club LaFeria (https://www.facebook.com/events/1551915648410698). 80's, 90's and today's hits for those 25+ at Sala Gente on Apoquindo (https://www.facebook.com/events/813097662077196). New wave / Dark wave dance party at Bal le Duc (https://www.facebook.com/events/1539122663019052). Cumbia and reggaeton with Zound Machine and DJ Lizz at the aptly-named Banana House (https://www.facebook.com/events/660996020692867). Luc Ringeisen (France) and Joaquin Lledó are on the decks at Mamba (https://www.facebook.com/events/436434529847568). And a decidely gay-friendly "Wolves" party at KRO la barra de Lutty (you must wear short-shorts, seriously): https://www.facebook.com/events/914273591937553
- Indie Summer Party: Hoping to catch a show with Joy Division, The Killers, Artic Monkeys and Muse? Well keep waiting because these are all tribute bands performing at Bar Santa Filomena. https://www.facebook.com/events/909405039092822
- Festival Chile incondicional: Organization which promotes responsible pet ownership is hosting an event over at Parque Bustamente Saturday morning (10am).
- Comic Book Day in Lastarria: Check out some of the comics (as in comic books) at Plaza de la Vera Cruz in Barrio Lastarria Saturday from 11am till 7:30pm.
- Murals Puente Alto: Community event involving the painting of murals (and social activism) over at Puente Alto.
- Vertical Garden: Casa Equillibrio in Las Condes is having a workshop on urban vertical gardens. Not free. https://www.facebook.com/events/433043840183285
- Magic show: Who doesn't like magic? Well ok, if you change your mind, for 3 lucas you get a magic show and pisco sour at Bar Le Cité.
- Swing in the park: Swing and Rock and Roll fans can head over to Parque San Borja (near Av. Portal - Metro Catolica) for some fun Saturday afternoon at 6pm.
- More live music: Latin rock at La Batuta by Plaza Ñuñoa with Gómez Grande and Seidú (https://www.facebook.com/events/518687321606738). Chilean band Incendiaria is performing at MiBar Saturday night (https://www.facebook.com/events/409025785940072). Onaciu (Loreto/Bellavista) is hosting Carlos Catoni's birthday celebration where he'll be performing live (https://www.facebook.com/events/591185447692602). Fernando Verdugo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5Qcy3YnE) will be performing at the Club de Jazz de Santiago (https://www.facebook.com/events/1555717328036078). Hearing loss-inducing venue Bar Uno is hosting the show with Bosque (http://indomitobosque.bandcamp.com/) and La Bestia de Gevaudan (http://www.labestiadegevaudan.blogspot.com/) (https://www.facebook.com/events/611106235701868).
- O'Higganazo: Yes, this is actually just heading over to Parque O'Higgins with friends and hanging out with whatever particular beverage you prefer.
- La Casa de Los Ultimos Dias: Our hidden Revolver treat for readers that made it this far - San Isidro 657 is the spot for live music, poetry, an exhibition and live art. The house is going to be demolished so they're having this art party but you'll need to tell the guy at the door the password to get in: Casa de los Ultimos Dias. https://www.facebook.com/events/877083302334230
- Feria de las Pulgas: So the fair that normally sets up at Parque Forestal has been organizing and will try to resist Santiago Mayor Carolina Toha's attempts at shutting it down. We can't post details about which park or where they'll set up but keep an eye out and we'll try to clue you in on Sunday.
- Carnaval Andino: Final day to catch the Andean Carnival festivities at Cerro Blanco! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206031752932490&set=a.12325293...
- Delirio Vintage: Plan Sofa is hosting the Feria Delirio Vintage where you can pick up some vintage clothes and check out some of the shops associated with this pretty cool cultural space. https://www.facebook.com/events/1516924105218838
- Kundalini Yoga: Yoga session in Plaza Ñuñoa! Take a mat and tip the professor at least a luca. https://www.facebook.com/events/839688079421197
- Feria Cletera: For ciclists out there - Sunday marks another round of the "feria cletera" by Parque Los Reyes (corner of Balmaceda and Av. Brasil). From noon to 8pm. There's also another one over by Av. Portal (Metro Catolica) which runs from noon to 7:30pm.
- Feria de las Pulgas: Aside from the Feria Cletera, check out the random items at the flea market at Parque de los Reyes.
- Parque Quinta Normal: The park underwent a renovation not so long ago- enjoy a lazy Sunday hanging out at the park and maybe checking out the Mapuche school supply drive (https://www.facebook.com/events/600963436716968) or the Venezuelen community having a bbq (https://www.facebook.com/events/447134648795448).
- Paisano en Parque Forestal: Although Parque Forestal is now regularly patrolled by police officers to ensure no one dares try to sell a used t-shirt, drop by at around 7pm and catch a young musician performing right on the grass. https://www.facebook.com/events/744162912366462
- ArtRave Ball: Might as well spend the first day of March at a Lady Gaga tribute party over at Blondie, complete with dancers and a live band, right? Pretty good sign of things to come during the month of March - random and always fun.
- Ciclorecreovia: Get up early and head out to the Ciclorecreovia, where several streets throughout Santiago are closed off so cyclists, skaters, rollerbladers, etc can enjoy the city streets safely. From 9am until 2pm. http://www.ciclorecreovia.cl
And remember to check out our agenda for a list of events happening every day in Santiago: http://www.santiagomagazine.cl/agenda.html
Did we miss anything? Let us know!