Apologies if you were still pulling confetti out of your hair several days after last weekend's carnival in Barrio Yungay! But hopefully you enjoyed it as much as we did and managed to avoid some of the minor incidents after midnight. This weekend proves Santiago is definitely still alive even as the temperature gets fierce. The Santiago Off Festival, MFest, Camila Moreno, Weichafe, Film Festivals at the Cineteca Nacional and Cine UC, Jazz in Las Condes, the Symphonic Orchestra of Chile, a crazy party in Bar Las Tejas, an Andean traditional festival at Cerro Blanco and so much more.
Remember every Friday we'll post our picks for the weekend and please check this space often as we may update it with changes and/or new events that pop up. Enjoy!
Photo courtesy Verónica & Los singulares (performing at MFest)
- Santiago Off: Final two days to catch some of the excellent options available as part of the Santiago Off Festival. Catch theater performances, live music, workshops and more! http://www.santiagooff.com/index.php/programacion/grilla-2015/
- MFEST: As part of Santiago Off, check out some of the live bands taking part in MFEST at Matucana 100. Friday night features Sandino Rockers and La Pozze Latina.
- Santa Filomena Chico: Catch folk musician Evelyn Cornejo, Andres Lecaros y los Forajidos, Gaston Gomes, Alejandro Ortuzar and others perform at Bar Santa Filomena.
- Festival de la Cineteca Nacional : Running through Jan 29, the Cineteca Nacional (Centro Cultural Moneda) will be showing 44 Chilean films throughout the event- including films from the 60's and prescreenings of films coming out this year. http://www.ccplm.cl/sitio/2015/5-festival-de-la-cineteca-nacional/
- Odessa at El Clan: Crazy seems to be the theme as Odessa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBDqTX9zMHU) performs at Bar El Clan
- De lo Urbano a lo Ancestral: Cine Arte Normandie is featuring this special event showcasing films about graffiti in Mexico, the documentary Amanecer (Ecuador) and "From Mambo to Hip Hop" which speaks about the latin influence in NY's hip-hop culture. Starts at 7:30pm. https://www.facebook.com/events/411381642359568
- BananaDrama: The Banana House (yes, that's the real name) is hosting a party tonight with house, electroclash, indie and pop.
- Festival Cine UC: Universidad Catolica is hosting their film festival through Feb 7 - Chilean and International films from Romania, Israel, Argentina, etc...
- Entepola: Pudahuel is hosting the Festival of Community Theater, Entepola. Acts from Bolivia, Chile and Argentina will offer performances that aim to make a socio-cultural impact in local communities.
- The Ganjas / Nairobi: Revolver favorite The Ganjas are performing tonight at Bar Loreto along with Nairobi and a dance party courtesy DJ Alvaro España to round out the night. "Math rock" band Tortuganónima (https://tortuganonima.bandcamp.com/track/per-aspera) will also apparently be performing (though it's listed as a separate event? https://www.facebook.com/events/1021054364576394).
- Cristian Gallardo Trío: The Cristian Gallardo Trío (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XROxXhHB6AA) is performing at Bar Thelonious Lugar de Jazz on Bombero Nuñez.
- Jazz Festival: The Las Condes Municipality is hosting their own Jazz festival tonight and tomorrow at the Teatro Municipal de Las Condes with Beekman (Brooklyn), Cristian Gálvez, Seis a la Dixie, and more. http://www.tmlascondes.cl/funciones/2015_01_jazz
- Session Bigshowteks: Into Chilean rap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUy3LGXLhnA)? Feeling adventurous? Check out the party at Barrio Matta Sur. https://www.facebook.com/events/328643383993603
- Circuito Mutante: And if you're looking for some experimental music... No Problema Tapes is showcasing a few bands at Bar Uno. Two of the bands are releasing actual legit mix tapes. As in cassettes. https://www.facebook.com/events/419941808157576
- Club Shake: DJ part with a DJ set by David Peyote, Los Montgomery and Los Profesionales. Expect mod / garage / soul, psychedelic surf, r&b and more. At Bar Mala Vida. https://www.facebook.com/events/313474705515282
- Icarus Gasoline: They call it "heavy psychedelic" - check out Icarus Gasoline (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-eVZnXo-4) at perennial metal bar, Bar de Rene.
- Consuelo Schuster / Valentin Trujillo: Chilean musician Consuelo Schuster and legend Valentin Trujillo will be performing at the Corporaacion Cultural de La Reina tonight at 9pm. https://www.facebook.com/events/699775270137786/
- Colectivo Aji Color: Musical synergy is on tap tonight at Kasa Ecolety with the Colectivo Aji Color performing at 8pm.
- Realidad Paralela: Our favorite lesbian-friendly party is at it again tonight with pop, hits, house and indie music. https://www.facebook.com/events/437808376341454
- Festival de Cine y Animacion Japonesa: Miyasaki fans can head over to Centro Arte Alameda for the Japanese Film and Animation Festival taking place through Sunday. https://www.facebook.com/events/968569283170635/
- Cueca, cueca, cueca: Grab a handkerchief, take a strong drink and make an attempt at learning a bit of cueca at Bar Victoria. Tonight will feature La Gallera, Los Meta y Ponga, and Voy y Vuelvo. https://www.facebook.com/events/938199832857888
- Concierto Nº3: The Symphonic Orchestra of Chile is performing tonight and tomorrow at 7:40pm at the Teatro CEAC (the theater right outside Metro Baquedano). https://www.facebook.com/events/606095929494663
- Tango en privado: Check out some tango in an intimate setting at Bar Popular in Barrio Yungay Friday night. https://www.facebook.com/events/773832562672479
- La Guacha: Revolver favorite La Guacha is performing tonight at La Batuta in Plaza Ñuñoa. https://www.facebook.com/events/1399889633644595
- Anzestro & The Sastre: Free show at the GAM! Starts at 7:30pm. Features Anzestro & The Sastre (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX26k8cAONA), Revolver favorite Javier Barria, Bronko Yotte(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alt7uVt6DX0) and Fakuta(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8adXfPM39Sg).
- Delatores: Chilean band Delatores (https://soundcloud.com/delatores_music) is celebrating their third birthday tonight at MiBar (Metro Santa Isabel). https://www.facebook.com/events/717065121743666
- Festival Internacional de Teatro San Joaquin: The Centro Cultural de San Joaquin is hosting a festival through Jan 30. Tonight will feature blues rock courtesy Magnolia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKW3UYVzIOY) with hip-hop on Saturday. https://www.facebook.com/culturasanjoaquin
- Beyonsy Party: And a university party to round things out with about everything you can sort of expect from a party organized by the Centro de Estudiantes UChile :D
- La Big Rabia: The band (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTca_nchGI) is back from their tour in Mexico and will be performing at one of our favorite venues, Bar El Clan. https://www.facebook.com/events/1530159860580333
- Camila Moreno: Grammy-nominated singer Camila Moreno will be performing as part of MFest along with Verónica y Los Singulares and (Me llamo) Sebastián.
- Bar Las Tejas: Party at Bar Las Tejas Saturday night! La Transa, Santa Feria, Guachupè, Chumbekes, and La Combo Tortuga are all performing at an event that will run late. Real late. https://www.facebook.com/events/1383398868624966
- Viva Morrissey: Legendary indie dance party venue Blondie is having a Morrissey special tonight. If you haven't been to Blondie yet this is definitely a sure bet.
- Concierto Nº3: Final chance to catch the Symphonic Orchestra of Chile perform at the Teatro CEAC (Metro Baquedano). https://www.facebook.com/events/606095929494663
- Sistema de Sonido: Open-air event at Parque de Los Reyes that kicks off at 3pm. Dub, ska and reggae with Kila Kila, La Maquina del Beat, Radio Chimba Sound and others. https://www.facebook.com/events/632893840148863
- Fiesta del Djembe Y Tambor: Drum circle ppl - head over to Quinta Normal Saturday afternoon and jump in or just enjoy the drum session that will run into the night.
- Como Asesinar a Felipes: Revolver favorite Como Asesinar a Felipes is performing at La Batuta in Ñuñoa along with Calambre. $5,000 general admission.
- Jersey Short: Lemon Lab is throwing another gay-friendly party tonight (summer-themed) at Sala Condell. https://www.facebook.com/events/694883803963197
- Guaka: French-Chilean band Guaka (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0x5cJQqjE) is performing at Humano Bar in Bellavista.
- Verano HxC Punk: Hardcore punk show tonight at Bar Uno with Vadca and Faltan Money's. https://www.facebook.com/events/1537231849879522
- Indie Summer Party: Bar Oxido is normally known for heavy metal shows but they're having an indie music party Saturday night with tribute bands for Artic Monkeys, Oasis, Joy Division, and The Strokes.
- Zahir: The instrumental group Zahir (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePEAwEZOIyM) is performing tonight at El Anden de Yungay. https://www.facebook.com/events/1668180423409394
- Jazmin: Born in Argentina but in Chile for the last 15 years, Jazmin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciSsZNdQNwk) will be performing at Opera Catedral (Metro Bellas Artes) Saturday at 10:30pm.
- Fasat Alfa: Bar Loreto is hosting Fasat Alfa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44qR5Z5bco8) with a DJ party to follow.
- Fiesta Latinoamericana: Bands Origines Chile and Chilitojuai will perform at Bar Raices Saturday night. https://www.facebook.com/events/714900985289630
- Yajaira: Another chance to pick up an actual cassette recording! Yajaira (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXRgqqMU8X4) has re-recorded their album in cassette format and will be releasing it at El Bar de Rene. https://www.facebook.com/events/498332930309254
- Jorge Diaz Trio: The Jorge Diaz Trio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntYkvRjAEE) will be performing at Benevento Jazz Cafe o nJose Manuel Infante.
- Aniversario Poblacion La Bandera: This is for the truly adventurous (and for those of you that don't look like freshly-arrived tourists)- La Bandera is celebrating their 48th anniversary today with murals, music, an exhibition of paintings dealing with their struggle against state repression. https://www.facebook.com/events/740073052744994
- English Party: La Casona Hostel is hosting an English party tonight with drink specials and prizes. https://www.facebook.com/events/330944137095027
- Sala Gente: Retro dance party for those 25 and over at Sala Gente in Las Condes. https://www.facebook.com/events/311655939044798
- Dia del Eqeqo: This is a bit of a hidden event happening at the ceremonial hill Cerro Blanco. Deals with the Andean traditional Fiesta de las Alasitas. If you go, please be extremely respectful. https://www.facebook.com/events/785523334848007
- Revista Absinthe: Revista Absinthe is back after a bit of a hiatus and will celebrating with readings, music and an open mic.
- Jornada Muralista: Mural and graffiti event Saturday from 10am till 5pm. A Bolivian group will be present along with dancing by the urban carnival group Chinchintirapie. Treat for our readers. https://www.facebook.com/events/1574469489433381
- Circo del Mundo: Final chance to catch El Circo del Mundo perform "Sol de Harapos" at Teatro Nescafe de las Artes. The group is celebrating 20 years with this performance that mixes theater and circus acts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Yk-LCSYxw).
- Festival de Todos y Todas: 9 hours of live music in Parque O'Higgins this Sunday with bands including Weichafe, Denise Rosenthal, Chanco en Piedra and more. From 10:00am - 8:00pm. http://www.facebook.com/events/910118342355380
- En Familia: Carolina Holzapfel, Dayanandrea, the Backgrounds, Mitcheaux, Disfonia, Marimotoro and others are performing in Barrio Bellavista for a luca starting at 3pm.
- Encuentro de Ciencia Ficción y Fantasía: Are you a Sci Fi Fan? Sunday is the last day to check out all things Alien, Hulk and Starwars at the Centro De Cultural Las Condes - Get there to see old relics, costumes, models from all sorts of Sci Fi Films. http://www.facebook.com/events/754245084652260
- Festival de Cine y Animación Japonesa: Last Day of the Japanesse Film and animation festival here in Santiago! They are showcasing various films and workshops from 11am at the Centro Arte Alameda. How good is your spanish? All films have spanish subtitles. http://www.facebook.com/events/968569283170635
- Gala Embrujo: Sunday Evening - A Gala of Flamenco - people of all levels demonstrating the fine art of Flamenco. Starts at 7pm.
- Yoga en la Plaza Ñuñoa: The vibrant Plaza Nunoa is hosting yoga sessions in the park every Saturday and Sunday from 11am! Bring a mat/towel, comfy clothes and a donation. No need to be an expert, any age and level welcome! http://www.facebook.com/events/852519821471355
- "Mujeres de Arena": "Mujeres de Arena" is another quality piece of theatre happening at Teatro De Bosillo at 9pm. A dramatic piece about the disappearance and deaths of Women in Cuidad de Juarez, Mexico.
- Festival de Teatro Emergente de La Reina: The Emerging Theatre of La Reina is opening a Play about the financial struggles of the middle class.Volunteer donation for a piece of quality theatre! http://www.facebook.com/events/909765539035168
- English in Santiago: Brush up on your English! With a free english speaking group heading out for a Picnic at Cerro San Cristobal.
- Esto es Free: Check out some beat boxing just outside Baquedano Metro Station from 2pm - 9pm this Sunday!
- Cena de la paz: Are you missing Quality vegan food? Get together with this group from 8pm on Sunday to share a dinner and all things vegan.
- El Cajon: Feel like escaping the city? Head out! Get Trekking and Canyoning down a waterfall in the Beautiful Cajon Del Maipo. Tours 10:00am - 3:00pm every Sunday. http://www.facebook.com/events/346487482218820
- Festival Transandino de las Artes Escenicas: The first festival of Performing Arts held at TEATRO EXPERIMENTAL LA COLORINA is hosting their current show "Eco" from 8:30pm. Get There! https://www.facebook.com/events/1430236447236889
- Maryy Poppins: Take the kids along to the always popular "Mary Poppins" at Sala De Teatro La Divina Comedia. From 7pm. http://www.facebook.com/events/382586525233589
- CicloRecroVia : Several streets throughout Santiago will be closed once again from 9am to 2pm for ciclists, skaters, joggers etc. Apply sunblock like crazy and head out early to grab the free snacks along the way. http://www.ciclorecreovia.cl/
And remember to check out our agenda for a list of events happening every day in Santiago: http://www.santiagomagazine.cl/agenda.html
Did we miss anything? Let us know!