We’re wrapping up November and are pretty shocked at how fast the year has gone by! If you’re an exchange student in Santiago the clock’s probably ticking down on your time here so we strongly recommend you completely milk your final days in Chile. With that in mind, we're primarily showcasing decidedly *Chilean* events this weekend. Cueca parties, underground bands, Andean music, Chilean ska, hip-hop and more- even an event at an okupa. Go at it.
Remember every Friday morning we'll post our picks for the weekend and please check this space often as we may update it with changes and/or new events that pop up. Enjoy!
Photo courtesy Sonora de Llegar
- Sonora de Llegar: The party band is launching their fifth record and will be performing along with Los Peores de Chile, Los Miserables and Manifiesto Ska Jazz. This will be a party. Get a taste: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL208EA2769FF69155
- Maria Magdalena: The musician is performing her unique mix of pop / electronica / samba at El Clan. Check out her music: https://soundcloud.com/maria-magdalena-valdivieso and check out the event:
- Comparsa juanYrosa: Ok this one's a treat for our readers. First, you get to check out Bar Victoria which is known for having cueca parties, second, you get to check out the show by Comparsa juanYrosa, and lastly you get a dose of live cueca from Medio Chile Clavao. https://www.facebook.com/events/1526108757630043
- Pacific Indie: Launch of the Pacific Indie music label! Live art, poetry and of course live music and a party to follow.
- New York Night: Electro, hip-hop, funk, twerk, moombah craziness at Club Hangar 10 on Santa Filomena. https://www.facebook.com/events/755301121204943
- Tambo del Conacin: If you're looking for a bit Andean music and some live cueca, head over to Conacin Friday night. This is one of those venues you should at least visit once before leaving Chile. Grab a table and a liter of beer. Featuring Lakitas San Juan and Los Guainas. https://www.facebook.com/events/590808804353408
- Festival de Jazz Chileuropa: Festival featuring a mix of European and Chilean musicians. The idea behind this festival is to promote European Jazz in Chile and at the same time provide a space for dialog between the musicians.
- Boys and Bears: The full name of this party is "Boys and Bears, Pervert Hot Party." We really don't need to say a damn thing.
- J-Rock Is Not Dead: The Banana House is hosting this party which will obviously feature quite a bit of Japanese pop, Japanese Rock, and "visual kei". We had to look that up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_kei
- Free Salsa Lessons: Brasserie des Comperes is hosting free Salsa lessons on the terrace. https://www.facebook.com/events/716512788399773
- Paracosmo, Ilusa and Chocho (Argentina): This is a bit of a different lineup than we're used to at Bar Uno. Normally we're left with temporary hearing damage, but this time the bands are actually pretty mellow. Check it out. https://www.facebook.com/events/305258586338307
- Aflora: The band is launching their second record, 'Más Cultura' at La Batuta (Plaza Ñuñoa). https://www.facebook.com/events/1506110452991293
- Miranda!: Argentine electro pop band Miranda is performing live at Blondie! This should be a fun party, umm.. if you're into that kind of thing (read: if you can still get down to Britney Spears). https://www.facebook.com/events/1479591062290539
- Teleton: Yes, we had to list it. Teleton is kicking off today as they're trying to raise money to benefit young people with disabilities. https://www.facebook.com/events/1507781906133726
- Dr. Pez: The final installment of the "Ciclo Zanahoria" series over at Kasa Ecolety (Metro Bellas Artes) is featuring Dr. Pez.
- Familea Miranda: Post Punk / Experimental band Familea Miranda (Barcelona) is headlining the show over at Cine Arte Alameda Friday night. Also playing are chilean acts Asamblea Internacional del Fuego and Nader Cabezas.
- Estereo Club: Indie rock / pop / rave dance party at Bar Mala Vida with special sets: Die Antwoord, The Strokes and Bjork.
- Chumbekes: Cumbia / Pachanga party at Club Ibiza (on Bombero Nuñez) in Bellavista featuring Chumbekes (not the tasty treat from the north). https://www.facebook.com/events/1517841331806702
- Santos de Greda: The Latin American fusion band will be performing at Centro Cultural Espacio Matta. Latin American / Chilean folk, jazz and rock. https://www.facebook.com/events/1513716165580208
- Sala Gente: 23+ dance party in the Las Condes comuna.
- Camilo Sesto: Spanish sensation Camilo Sesto (for a decidedly older generation) is performing. https://www.facebook.com/events/285733208303116
- The How Much: The Chilean indie band is launching their record tonight at Club Subterraneo. https://www.facebook.com/events/656037674447140
- Haz Algo: Chilean independent label Algo Records is celebrating 12 years. Catch several of the bands they represent play live Saturday night at Bar Loreto, including Hielo Negro, Histéricos, Perrosky and Matías Cena. https://www.facebook.com/events/716196848471961
- Ana Tijoux, Salvaje Decibel, Sara Hebe: Political/musical event we don't normally feature, but several well-known artists are performing to raise funds for the campaign demanding justice for the murder of syndicalist Juan Pablo Jimenez.
- XVII Maratón de cine: The Madhouse Chile crew is hosting a film marathon at one of our favorite bars in Ñuñoa starting at 3pm
- Cueca en Primavera: As part of the continuing Primavera en Yungay festivities, several cueca bands will be performing live. Go, take a handkerchief and give it a shot.
- Electrodomésticos: The band is celebrating 30 years. That's right - THIRTY years. https://www.facebook.com/events/749915455082955
- La Nelson: The band which mixes Gypsy Jazz with Latin American sounds is celebrating their birthday at one of our favorite venues- Bar El Clan. https://www.facebook.com/events/1501433920137318
- QUINTA FERIA VINILO LIBRE: Stock up on vinyl and check out some cool collections at the open vinyl fair at the GAM (Metro Catolica).
- Ride to F*ck: This is for our skater friends! Extremely curious name for the event, but they're celebrating the second anniversary of the Peñalolen skatepark.
- Animal Party: This is NOT a family-friendly event. Free entry, BYOB at the Hipodromo with a party in Independencia afterwards. Uh-oh.
- Decadance: Banana House seems to want to give Blondie a run for their money (is that even possible?) with cool indie / new wave dance parties. This time they're having a special on Siouxsie Sioux, Deborah Harry and Shirley Manson.
- Elixir de beat: Chilean hip-hop party at Santo Mambo this Saturday night.
- Free Yoga Parque Forestal: Full hour of yoga for free at Parque Forestal. Take something to eat/share because the idea is to have a picnic afterwards.
- Pub Crawl: Another version of the Pub Crawl, but this time with a "Where's Waldo" theme.
- LemonLab: Another iteration of the gay-friendly LemonLab parties is happening over at Ex Fabrica club.
- Feria Ciudadana de Plaza Ñuñoa: Emerging bands, flea market, open theater and more. Neighbors are holding this event to get to know their other neighbors and to use the plaza as an open space for the community.
- HOLI FESTIVAL 2014: Music, dancing, people and paint. This comes originally from the Hindu festival of love and has become an international festival/event. Featuring: Deniz Koyu, Dubvision, Bassbangerz, and more.
- Shalia: Hardcore punk fest at San Diego! Featuring Shalia from Argentina, Sin Perdon, Pegotes, Jurel tipo Salmon (lol), and more. Starts at 2:30pm-ish.
- Poser Fest #5: Funny name but yeah, if you're looking for some underground, emerging Chilean music, check this event out. Check out the flyer for a better idea of what you're getting yourself into.
- Fiesta Lobo: More upscale gay party over at Vitacura. We've seen these 'Lobo' (wolf) parties before and they're not bad.
- Mega Minister: Indie, pop and house DJ dance party.
- Marco Carola: Event for the EDM fans out there. Marco Carola will be headlining Saturday at Teatro Caupolican.
- Kuervos del Sur: Hard rock from southern Chile is taking over one true, legit metal bar - El Bar de Rene.
- Factoria Verde: Universidad del Pacifico is hosting a green/organic/sustainable fair.
- Teleton Cicletada: Bike ride in support of the Teleton campaign. This kicks off at Plaza Italia and ends up in Peñalolen!
- Población Parlante: Chilean band Poblacion Parlanta is launching their single with special guests Wentru at Sala SCD Bellavista. Early show - starts at 8:30pm.
- Festival Internacional de Teatro Callejero: This is actually featured in the Sunday section but really worth checking out throughout the weekend. https://www.facebook.com/FitkaFestivalInternacionalDeTeatroDeCalle
- STGO DUBWISE: Reggae/Dub/UK Stepper at Club Ibiza Saturday night! https://www.facebook.com/events/826381617384388
- Mente Sabia Crú & Sara Hebe: Bad-ass rap at Bar Santo Filomena in Bellavista with Mente Sabia (Chile) and Sara Hebe (Argentina)! https://www.facebook.com/events/316391561887062
- RUTA DISEÑO: Pick up some early Christmas gifts at Plan Sofa (Metro Santa Isabel). Hand-made, original products. https://www.facebook.com/events/314945365358109
- Documental 4RAMAS 4ARMAS: For the truly adventurous, head over to Casa Volnitza to check out this documentary on the underground hip-hop culture in Chile. Casa Volnitza is an okupa. We said "adventurous" for a reason. https://www.facebook.com/events/751837384896705
- Festival Internacional de Teatro Callejero: Street theater! You know you love this stuff and it's definitely one of the perks of living in Chile. Full-blown street theater festival is taking place in Barrio Yungay - and remember to tip!
- Festival de Jazz Chileuropa: Final days to catch some of the Jazz performances.
- Capital Cities: Indie pop band Capital Cities (think: Safe and Sound) is performing this Sunday at Teatro Caupolican!
- Yoga in Ñuñoa: Head over to Plaza Nuñoa for a session of kundalini yoga! Take a mat and get there early - starts at 11am.
- Pop-up Store: If your Sunday plans include wandering around Lastarria, drop by Merced 116 for a pop-up store. Hours: noon to 9pm.
- Bike fair: Parque De Los Reyes is hosting another bike fair. Check out the stands and stock up on gear. https://www.facebook.com/events/661077834007555
- Viaje numero 9 : Final weekend to catch "viaje numero 9" - billed as a psycheadelic trip through the senses. Happening over at the GAM (Metro Catolica).
- El sur es hardcore: Hardcore rap fans can head over to Luxor (Metro Macul) for a festival featuring over 20 performers, including Revolver favorite Tiro de Gracia.
- Feria Emprendo Las Condes: Over 100 vendors are going to be selling their products at Plaza Los Dominicos.
- Festival Integral de Artes Escenicas: Festival of music, theater, dance and circus performances - over at Metro Franklin through Sunday.
- Cicletada 11K: Family-friendly bike ride that runs from Plaza Ñuñoa all the way to Plaza de Armas! Too late to sign up if you haven't already, but remember the streets will be closed off so head out with your bike and take advantage.
- Ruta Diseño: If you're looking for hand-made gifts and accesories- Metro Universidad Catolica (exit towards the South).
- Arde Sudamerica: Metalhead looking for some crazy headbanging action on a Sunday afternoon? Centro Cultural Franklin has it.
- Feria del Libro Infantil Juvenil: Drop by Parque Bustamante (Metro Parque Bustamante) this Sunday and pick up some children's books.
- Bicipaseo: Architecture buffs (and really anyone interested in learning a bit more about the city) should head over to Plaza Italia for a bike tour which will highlight some of the city's modern architecture.
- Santa Bazar: And another option for those of you looking for gifts for Christmas. Thirty different brands will be present - gourmet, decorations, clothing, accessories, etc.
- Feria Parque Forestal: Take a camera (and gas mask?) because this one's unauthorized again due to conflicts with Santiago Mayor Carolina Toha. They're asking vendors to show up, so we'll see how this one turns out.
And remember to check out our agenda for a list of events happening every day in Santiago: http://www.santiagomagazine.cl/agenda.html
Did we miss anything? Let us know!